AP1 now discontinued (but still awesome and improving everyday)
– Lane keep with centering
– TACC (Traffic Aware Cruise Control)
– Emergency collision avoidance and various warnings (more advanced AEB basically)
– Can tell the difference between a lorry, car, motorbike and even a person
– Lane change with indicator movement
– AutoPark with Self parallel parking + parking space detection
– Automatic high/low beam headlights
– Vehicle Lane avoidance (cars moving into your side)
The AP1 system
– Front Facing Camera
– Forward-facing radar
– 360° ultrasonic sensors
– GPS and high resolution digital maps comprise a mutually reinforcing system (e.g. car knows a big corner is coming up off the motorway so will slow the car to a safe speed).
– Tesla fleet (all cars are linked to the web) ensures the system is continually learning and improving upon itself.
AP1 in action
AP2 built into all cars from October 2016
Optional extra to switch it on, split into Advanced Autopilot £4800 (or £5,700 after delivery) & Full Self-Driving Capability £2900 (£3,800 after delivery).
– All of the above AP1 features (eventually)
– Eight 360° surround cameras (60M-250M range)
– Twelve updated ultrasonic sensors (8M range)
– Detection of both hard and soft objects at nearly twice the distance of the prior system
– Improved forward-facing radar (160M range)
– See fast approaching vehicles in adjoining lanes
– Reads additional road signs like ‘Stop’ etc
– Processing Power Increased 40x
– Automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one motorway to another, exit the motorway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage.
– Tesla will navigate tighter, more complex roads.
– Full Self-Driving Capability (awaiting law changes & system learning, estimated 2019 in some areas)